Friday, January 6, 2012

Crushing Fat Loss Cardio Workout - TRY THIS!

In my recent posts, I have been trying to share more and more of what I do and why I do it.  In this recent installment, I am going to spill some details on this awesome, although very difficult, cardio interval workout. 

Before I continue with the workout, a few additional thoughts:
  • My favorite method of training in the last few months is simple but not easy: running, putting one foot in front of the other, but only because I'm training for a marathon in May.  Traditionally I run 30 minutes, 3 times per week, and ONLY do intervals
  • When compared to other workouts, jogging is actually not a great use of your time if your heart rate is kept consistent throughout the workout (also known as steady state).  
  • However, using intervals, going back and forth between different energy systems and fuel sources, and basically running/sprinting bouts paired with walking/jogging bouts is the absolute KING when it comes to fat loss (and it takes less time)
  • Absolutely loved this workout as it broke up my usual routine and increased recruitment from my hamstrings and glutes, while getting my heart rate above 95% (190 bpm) and my recovery after 2 minutes below 65% (130 bpm).
  • I included a mile warmup at an easy pace before the intervals began, but mainly because it was 30 degrees out and I wanted to warmup the muscles and start a light sweat before beginning the higher intensity portion


INTERVAL FAT LOSS WORKOUT
Here we go:


Intervals 1-4
.25 mile as fast as possible
walk for 2 minutes
repeat 3 more times for 4 total intervals
Intervals 5-8
.20 mile as fast as possible
walk/jog for 2 minutes
repeat 3 more times for 4 total intervals
Intervals 9-12
.15 mile as fast as possible
walk/jog for 2 minutes
repeat 3 more times for 4 total intervals

Finish with a cooldown mile at a comfortable pace. 

NOTES:
  • Make sure to precede this workout with a dynamic warmup, videos of that can be found here: warmup videos
  • If you don't have access to a treadmill or a GPS, try using time instead: Intervals 1-4 should be 90 seconds long, intervals 5-8 should be 60 seconds long, and 9-12 should be 45s long
Keep on keepin' on,

Coach Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment